Uganda has the second youngest population in the world and one of the highest youth unemployment rates. That makes a secondary education diploma even more valuable in a scarce job market. So what are some of our school graduates doing?
- Phillips scored a first grade on the national exams, which is the highest possible score.
- Agnes secured a loan and opened her own business.
- Ali is currently employed in a carpentry shop.
- Solomon is currently employed in a grocery store.
- Mary works for a company that makes metallic pots and pans.
Deborah's mother has been unable to find work since her second-hand clothing store closed, and her father could not afford to take care of her. Deborah was a student at Awegys. Following graduation, she enrolled in a diploma program for Business Administration at Uganda's top university, Makere.
Philip lost his entire family to HIV. When he started at Awegys, he was without a home and family. Thanks to the support he received from Mtaala and his own dedication, Philip graduated with his secondary school diploma and is currently teaching at a primary school in Mukono District.